GTK Themes, and theme libraries : how do they fit (get plugged) into GTK ?

Hello, all,

Some time ago I asked a question on a library that hadn't been found upon installing a new GTK library (libqtengine.so, that was). I slowly start realising now that this was a file belonging to what's called a theme library, and that it is actually not an integral part of GTK itself (so typically part of a distribution, I guess)

Then I asked myself how this theme mechanism is working in GTK. I found out that there's a whole lot of an object's properties that are customisable in gtkrc files. But the changeable properties in these files can (unless I'm wrong, or wrongly understand the code) at most explain some differences in colors, but not at all any difference in widget drawing method.

So how(/where in the code) are these theme libraries coming in the game ? How can e.g. a GtkToggleButton possibly be drawn another way, e.g. with more rounding, or with another kind of shading (as I said, I'm explicitly *not* speaking of a different color scheme) ? How(/where in the code) do these theme libraries get "plugged-in" into GTK ?

Could someone please give some beginning of conceptual explanation, and then give further (clues to) links to good documentation on how this is all working together (a hint in the GTK code can also do) ?

Thanks, and kind regards,

PhB.