Learning Gtk+ from C#

I have taken it upon myself to learn a new programming
language and not least learn to work with graphical user interface for
which I ended up selecting Gtk+ (Gtk#)

Having started to just make a small calculator as a "getting started"
project I have run into a small issue with the text entry kind of
widget.

I have disabled entering data into the entry (as I am to limit content
to only numbers in various formats).

It seems that the entry catches special keys like <backspace> <delete>
and so on.

Is there any way to stop the entry field from grabbing these keys
without turning the "sensitivity" to off "greying" it out?

Or will I just need to basically make my own widget?

Any hints are greatly appreciated by a "newbie" gtk+ programmer.

Thanks'
Jesper K. P.