Re: help me catch up on GTK gui tools

On 9 Aug 2006, at 03:27, Brett Stottlemyer wrote:

Calum,

Thanks for the links, you've given me a lot of new stuff to look at. I had no idea all of that was available; I was disappointed with the selection at
sunfreeware, which is often out of date.

I'm surprised to hear that some of the software compiles better with
sunstudio.

That's only if you use our 'common build environment' tools, which we use ourselves for building GNOME on S10 and OpenSolaris. Some of the compiler options etc. are different between SunStudio and gcc, and since SunStudio is one of our products, making our build tools work best with that is obviously our priority. gcc will work in many cases too, and we'd like it to work even better... I'm sure patches would be welcome :)

I thought many of the libraries (like gtk) were built with gcc.
I would expect better performance from sunstudio (as the native compiler),
but more trouble compiling.

If you're just downloading community tarballs and going the usual configure/make/install route, gcc should work just fine, and may even be preferable, as that's probably what it's been built and tested with. (Albeit probably on Linux.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team