Re: Cross-platform apps

Hi,

For an understanding of making Windows apps directly
from Linux ("cross-compiling"), I found this to be
extremely useful:
http://www.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/cross-gtk/

Also, I happen to be using portAudio in a
windows/linux opensource GTK+ sound program too, here:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=149086

I started with straight ALSA, but moved to PortAudio
precisely to be able to cross-compile for Windows. I
don't use windows, but I'd guess 80% of the people
that download the app only want the windows version;
ironic, but welcome.

I can build both the Win32 and the linux executables
in about a minute, from the same source code with just
a few #ifdefs difference. Once you have the Win32 GTK+
libraries (http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/  --
thanks Tor!), the Ming32 installation (an apt-get away
in Debian), and... some considerable sorcery with
automake/autoconf it is unbelievably easy. Actually,
the only hard part is that last part -- autotools. I
still think it could be done better than the way I
hacked together, but mine works rock-solid, all I have
to do is add three arguments to the ./configure line
and boom, a minute later I have a Win32 executable.

Incidentally, GLib helps enormously when it comes to
threads and some other stuff inconsistent between the
two platforms.

Good luck!

--- Ross Clement <rclement dmu ac uk> wrote:

This is not yet as serious a question as it looks.

I'm now back to writing my first ever gtk app again
after a break.

I'm using gtk (natch), portAudio, and fftw. The
program is being written
on Linux but I hope that it will be ported to
windows (and possibly Mac)
at a later date.

How much difficulty am I likely to have when I get
around to porting it?

a) None!
b) No more than a little
c) A considerable amount of work