Re: Crashes with GTK 2.8.12 and above

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:38:34 +0100, Chris Vine
<chris cvine freeserve co uk> wrote:

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 22:08, Enrico TrÃger wrote:
Hi,

I have some problems with newer GTK versions(2.8.12 and above) and
my application(http://geany.uvena.de). It crashes with segmentation
faults inside GTK. With GTK 2.8.10, it works at its best.
I and some other people tested it with GTK 2.8.12, 2.8.13 and 2.8.16
and crashes randomly. This means, sometimes the application works a
few minutes, somtimes a few seconds and sometimes it crashes before
(or while) the main window is initialized. It seems, that no
special action is necessary, only click somewhere, on a scrollbar,
on the file open dialog or whatever.

I have no idea, for what reason it crashes, so if anyone knows this
issue or have any hints, I would be really grateful.

If you need more information, please ask.

The following are some backtraces from gdb on different systems, I
hope they are at least a bit helpful. The first and last call in my
code is in main.c in line 577, this line calls only gtk_main().

If you have memory corruption, the faulty code may lie elsewhere.  I
suggest you run the program under valgrind using linux (valgrind does
not work with FreeBSD) and that will tell you if and where you have
corrupted the heap.
I have done this, but didn't find any useful information. valgrind
complained about many things, but they were almost all GTK related.
I can post the output of valgrind, if it helps, but it is very large
about 230Kb uncompressed.

And my application doesn't use threading.

regards,
Enrico

Geany, a lightweight IDE using GTK2 - http://geany.uvena.de