Strange behavior when reparenting

Hello,

I'm developing a program in gtk using the python bindings (though I do
not think this is a pygtk issue).

I've come to a situation in which I must reparent widgets (more detail
below). However, sometimes reparenting results in the reparented
widget appearing as a separate, full fledged window. Has anyone else
experienced this?

Specifically, in my application, I "split" the main window up into
different "pages", and sometimes I want to close one of those pages.
I implement this using a recursive structure of HPaned and VPaned
widgets, which ultimately contain Frame widgets which contain
DrawingArea widgets.  When I close one page, I collapse the the Paned
widget that contained it into the only remaining widget.

To clarify, imaging this as a tree:  HPaned has a Frame A and a Frame
B.  When I close Frame A, I want the entire tree (the HPaned and all)
to be replaced by Frame B.  Thus, Frame B must be reparented...  But I
think Frame A (or possibly just the DrawingArea within it) is becoming
a separate window...

Thanks,
Nick Johnson

PS- I actually have three questions, but I'm going to put them in
separate threads... I appologize for the spam.