long line in GtkTextBuffer

I'm writing an application which largely consists of a text editor based
around the Gtk multiline text widgets. My problem is that when I use
gtk_text_buffer_set_text() to set the text in the widget, I have display
issues with large lines.

I would probably never have realised except that I tried to open a very
complex svg file made with inkscape in my editor and it opened fine
but when the text was rendered, the really long line (one extremely complex
path element generated with the trace bitmap function) was simply invisible
and the whole application started moving at a snails pace. It's a fairly
fast computer so I don't think resources are the issue (the whole svg file
is only 12Kb). Anyone have any ideas?