gtk chart/graph library

Hi,
I am new to this mailing list and I am here for some advice. I plan to
develop a small personal finance application with Gtk. I read the tutorials
and manuals (gtk and glade) and I think I am ready to start. One thing I
could not find is a chart/graph library(widget) for gtk. I want to use
plots,bar graphs and charts in my application. I found GtkExtra but that
does not have enough documentation or tutorials. Another is matplotlib
library, but it requires using python (matplotlib looks good but I am not
sure if python is suitable for such application which deals with lots of
data).

Can someone tell me what do official gnome apps use for charts and graphs
(like gnumeric). I would like to stick with official libraries so that my
app works on any gnome desktop without additional dependencies.

Thanks,
Ravi