Re: combo rant

[snip]

To be fair, I've worked with combo controls from at least 4 different
widget sets and they all were horrible.  Win32, GTK, Web, Borland, Java,
they all suck.  I think as a control, the combo control is just a bad
concept.

I'm not that negative about a combo control. After all, a good combo like
the Windows one lets me select the item I want quickly and simple (enough),
and in an acceptable style.

I will probably create my own combo type control in addition to the
native Win32/GTK combo box controls.  It will basically be a text field
with a button directly to the right of it.  When the button is clicked a
separate window will be opened with a grid inside it.  This allows me to
bypass all the horrible problems with combos on each platform.  It will
be a little slower for a user to use than a combo, but the ease of use
should be better since the user/developer can resize the grid, etc if
needed.

When you have a working prototype please let me know, I'd like to see it
for sure.