Re: Odd font display problem on AIX 5.2/5.3 with _same_ fonts

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 00:04 -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
[Originally posted in October but no response so reposting]

I'm having an odd font display problem with GTK+ 2.6.8 on AIX 5.3. I
made sure both the AIX 5.2 and 5.3 systems had access to the _same_
fonts. The ~/.fonts.cache-1 file generated on each system is the same.
I'm testing with the GTK+ demo program. Images of the initial window
is available from:
  ftp://support.thewrittenword.com/outgoing/gtk/aix52.png
  ftp://support.thewrittenword.com/outgoing/gtk/aix53.png

Why should the display be different if both systems have access to the
same fonts?

No idea, but from your screenshoots It looks the font set you're using
does not support U+0020 character - white space.

Furthermore, that both systems have the same ~/.fonts.cache-1 does not
mean that are using the same font, and in this case it's sure they're
not using the same font.

Take a look at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf - if it exists in AIX - and ensure
they're using a font with u+0020 support such as Bitstream Vera as
default.
--
Iago Rubio