widget doesn't show up at application start, but after resizing window

Hello,

I am writing an application using a VteTerminal in a GtkWindow.
Everything works fine, except one thing.
When I run the application, the Terminal is not displayed. Instead a
copy of the desktop background (including everything that is behind the
starting window) is displayed in the location where the Terminal should
be. When I move the window this "strange" background image moves with it
(it is not updated). But when I resize the window with the mouse,
suddenly the VteTerminal is displayed and works perfectly. I used
"gtk_widget_show" on all widgets. Can someone help me or explain this
strange behaviour?

Thanks