gtk win32 and env variables

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right list or not for this question.

I have a gtk+ app developed for NetBSD/Linux/Solaris. I just ported it to windows with almost no pain thanks to gtk for win32. I even made an installer with NSIS. The problem I have though is that my program has 2 directories where it looks for some system data files at runtime. One of the ways it can find these directories is through the use of 2 environment variables. On a unix like system, those variables are usually not needed because a default path is put into the binary at compile time based on the configure options. On windows, it is easy for the user to pick a different place to install so I need to set those variables.

So my question is how do gtk apps ported to windows typically deal with something like that? Do I try and make the installer set some windows environmnet variables? Do I use some registry thing? Is that even supported in glib/gtk for win32? I'm really not a windows user at all, but know of a number of people interested in using my program on windows.

Thanks for any suggestions.
-Dan