gtk, cairo and pdf

I haven't had time to look into cairo's capacities in depth. I wonder if anyone could give me a quick reading on this: the app I mostly work on is statistical, and it would be nice to be able to present various formulae and results in PDF, generated from TeX source, so that the math would appear in optimal form. I'm wondering if, with cairo, one can readily create (or at some point will be able to create) a gtk widget that "natively" displays PDF fragments?

If this is possible on Linux, is it also possible on win32?
Thanks.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics