Win32 gtk performance sucks (all versions), any suggestions for finding the bottlenecks?

I have seen my app run about 10-50x slower on win32 and doing simple things
like changing a widgets color or text can max the CPU EASILY on a 1Ghz Win2k
install.  on linux the cpu penalty is usually less than 10% in most cases..

I've tested this with the GTK+ runtime builds from gladewin32.sf.net (tried
2.4.11, 2.4.13 and 2.4.14)

Is there any way to PROFILE GTK+ UNDER WINDOWS to find out what the $%^& is
wrong with it? (I suspect it's pango as the cpu penalties always strike hardest
when updating even a tiny amount of text and it's especially horrible on win32,
 but it's bad enough on linux already)

What can I do to try and find out WHAT IS WRONG?  For my app to run with any
appreciable speed, a 3.5Ghz win32 box is needed, and even then a 600mhz linux
box will easily outperform it in the gui operations of my app and "feel" much
faster.

I've optimized my app as much as possible to minimize updates and it has helped
very little on windows..

This is getting so bad that I feel I might have to switch to a completely
different toolkit (but I don't want to as I like GTK+) as the "user experience"
is absolutely awful under GTK+/win32 and my users are complaining and I don't
know what to tell them to solve this problem.

-- Dave
http://megatunix.sf.net