Re: How long does it take to load a file..

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:40:58 -0600
"Robertson, Ezban" <ezban robertson homeauto com> wrote:

Hi all,
I'm loading a series of jpeg images (also tried with png) and notice it
takes about 1.2 seconds to load each. Is this normal? I'm using the
function gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file.
Is there a better (i.e faster) alternative?

Hi ER...

That doesn't say much if the size of the image isn't known, or the speed
of the machine (or the harddisk). 300k jpeg images take about half a
second on my 1 G Athlon (including the drawing).

I believe there is a method to load images asynchronously (while you are
doing other things), but this tends to be bit more complicated. If
animation is the problem, you'll have to think about pre-loading the
images into memory.

John