Re: how to assign full access rights to guest

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:38:24PM +0530, harshavardhanreddy mandeepala wrote:
hi
I am using Linux fedora core 3.
I want to shutdown the system from  .bash_profile  file using
cd /sbin
./shutdown -g o
but when I run the file otherthan a superuser it is giving error message as
             " to run "shutdown" u must be a root"
 but i want to execute shutdown command  as  a non root user (Ex: guest)

This type of stuff is ideally accomplished with sudo. sudo has a unique
configuration syntax, but it is well worth learning how to use it.

Even i have used  command for changing the ownership as

chown "guest" /root -R      Still it is giving error.

Don't do this, ever. There is never, ever a good reason to change the
ownership of /root. Besides it won't accomplish what you want because
that is not how UNIX permissions work. You should look info on UNIX
permissions.

  -jkl