Re: Version Compatibility

At 02:12 PM 7/30/2005, you wrote:
Am Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:52:35 -0500 schrieb MEA-MikeFriedrichs:

> List,
>
> I am using Soft Integrations 'Ch', which is bound with GTK+ 1.3.  Ch
> is an  'C' interpreter, which is nice because it complies with ANSI 99
> syntax,  makes it easy for debugging and running programs in the
> office.  When the  programs are to be shipped to our customers, they
> will be compiled with  WinGw32.
>
> If I code programs using 'Ch' and GTK+ 1.3, then compile the same
> program  using GTK+ 2.x headers and libraries will I be heading for
> problems?

In general: Yes!

Perhaps you've a lot of luck and your application compiles with GTK2,
but then you get a lot of warnings and problems at runtime. Depending on
the complexity and size of your application it could be some work to
port it to GTK2.

Here is a document about porting Gnome1 to Gnome2. Perhaps you'll find
some usefull information here:

http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/porting/

I went to the site and yes, I'm convinced I  could be heading for big problems.

I went to http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html and was looking at the obsolete versions. It looks like I can download version 1.3 runtime, development, and source.

One statement confuses me, as follows, "Unlike GTK+ 1.2 on Unix, GTK+ 1.3.0 on Windows it is built to use GLib 2.x. (There is no binary distribution of any GLib 1.2 for Windows.)"

Since I'm using win2k, this statement implies I use Glib2.x. Does this mean any 2.x library version?

This probably sounds crazy to spend this much effort on an obsolete version, but I have a interpretative version 1.3 that works, all I need is a version 1.3 runtime and development for compiling. Since I'm just learning GTK, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Confused!!!

MikeFriedrichs