Re: Version Compatibility

Am Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:52:35 -0500 schrieb MEA-MikeFriedrichs:

List,

I am using Soft Integrations 'Ch', which is bound with GTK+ 1.3.  Ch
is an  'C' interpreter, which is nice because it complies with ANSI 99
syntax,  makes it easy for debugging and running programs in the
office.  When the  programs are to be shipped to our customers, they
will be compiled with  WinGw32.

If I code programs using 'Ch' and GTK+ 1.3, then compile the same
program  using GTK+ 2.x headers and libraries will I be heading for
problems?

In general: Yes!

Perhaps you've a lot of luck and your application compiles with GTK2,
but then you get a lot of warnings and problems at runtime. Depending on
the complexity and size of your application it could be some work to
port it to GTK2.

Here is a document about porting Gnome1 to Gnome2. Perhaps you'll find
some usefull information here:

http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/porting/

regards
Andreas