Re: Re[2]: Fonts

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 12:19, Alexander S.Kresin wrote:
On 21.01.2005 15:20, John Cupitt <jcupitt gmail com> wrote:

JC> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:09:45 +0300, Alexander S.Kresin
JC> <alex belacy belgorod su> wrote:
  Is the pango font system really better than the old GdkFont ?
  What are the possible problems if I'll use the GdkFont in my
  programs instead of pango ?

JC> It is much better, and quite an easy port (I found).

 Sorry for my insistence, but what are the advantages of pango font
 system over the GdkFont ?
 I ask about it, because, it may be possible that these additional
 possibilities aren't needed for my purposes

The bigger benefit is internationalization. If you'd like to see your
app in arab or tamil, try Pango.

"The use of Pango benefits GTK+ by adding support for
internationalization. Short font names are another benefit. Pango allows
the font abstractions to be moved away from the toolkit. With Pango, it
is possible to write applications that work in many languages. Widget
labels and text editing boxes automatically deal with the bidirectional
character sets."

Quoted from http://lwn.net/2001/features/OLS/pango.php3

I may add the markup language is really great, and the XFLDs were a
pain.

 while GdkFont functions
 seems to me more understandable.

Functions may be simpler, but what about font descriptions ?

"-*-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1"

It's not too friendly, is it?

"Helvetica Bold 12 pt" sounds much better.

 BTW, does the 'deprecated' mean that these functions could be
 excluded from one of next GTK versions ?

Yes, it means those functions are there for backwards compatibility and
"should not be used in newly written code".

Regards.
--
Iago Rubio