Re: Debugging problem with gtk applications

Roger Leigh writes:
However, I have never yet had any success with gdb on MS
Windows/Cygwin (or MinGW).

Just some different experience: I don't recall having had any
*serious* problems with gdb on Windows. (I tend to use the Cygwin gdb
even to debug non-Cygwin code.)

Of course, it isn't Unix. One platform-related issue that come to mind
is that if you interrupt the program with Control-C, gdb is pretty
confusd where it is, "bt" gives garbage. Another limitation is that it
(often) isn't possible to single-step across a DLL boundary. You have
to set a separate breakpoint in the function in the (other) DLL you
would want to step into. Yes another: It is possible to set
breakpoints in DLLs only after they have been loaded; i.e. you must
first set a breakpoint at "main" and start the process, then you can
set breakpoints in the DLLs. (But maybe this is required in Unixes,
too?)

Oh, so maybe somebody might consider these limitations serious, but I
am so used to them...

--tml