Re: GtkTreeView with huge amount of rows; dynamic data source?

On 01/13/2005 08:05:38 AM, Gus Koppel wrote:
I'd like to have a list- or treeview-like representation of the contents (rows) of a database. There can easily be tens of thousands of records to be browsable in a list. Not only filtered parts of the table should be listed, but also entire tables, unfiltered, should be browsable.
[ snip ]
Any idea how to accomplish this by using existing widgets, or would I need to write an own sort of list widget? Compatibility to GTK+ 2.0 is preferred, if existing GTK+ means were to be used.

Write a custom data handler implementing the GtkTreeModel interface. Googling "custom list model" should turn up some guidance. The iface->get_value method is where you'd fetch the required data. All you need to do to the tree-view is put it in fixed-height mode, so that get_value is called only for visible rows.

Good luck!

Peter