Increased memory size

Hello everyone,
    In an app. of mine i set an image with the following properties as
the background of my main window:

background.png: PNG image data, 1024 x 768, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced

   I do this by having these lines in the theme file:

bg_pixmap[NORMAL] = "background.png"
bg_pixmap[ACTIVE] = "background.png"
bg_pixmap[PRELIGHT] = "background.png"
bg_pixmap[SELECTED] = "background.png"
bg_pixmap[INSENSITIVE] = "background.png"

   The problem is that it increases the XServer memory usage of my
app. by 50MB. My calculations suggests that even a 32-bit RGBA image
of 1024x768 shouldn't take more than 3MB. BTW, the window is also of
the same size: 1024x768. Can anyone tell me what is going on here?
Thanks in advance. Bye.