Re: GTK app with no keyboard/mouse

Am Do, den 24.02.2005 schrieb Olexiy Avramchenko um 10:10:
Marc Santhoff wrote:
According to some postings on this list, some people tried to synthesize
GDK events from their code and failed.

What exactly did you try to do ? I use gdk_event_put to simulate
keyboard events from GIOChannel that reads data from keyboard on serial
port. Works well (maybe my case is just simplier?).

Nothing, it's already done. ;) But I appreciate your help.

At the start of this project I had to decide for one method of:

- getting events from a USB controller sending key-like events on a
generic device
- write some code for setting up the contoller and sending commands to
it
- translate the key-like events into real key events and propagate them
to my program

I decided to use XTest because it was the simplest thing to use and I
have one central point of translation (custom keycodes have to be
mangled, table driven translation). One more cause is to have an option
for steering other X11 programmes than my own GTK thingy.

Btw. I'm using GTK+1.2 and will continue doing so. The hardware running
the prog is somewhat weak, so I have to be careful in pulling in more
ressources.

But I would in fact like to see a piece of code synthesizing key events
(and mouse movements) from arbitrary sources like a GIOChannel. Maybe
the hardware or some decisions change in the future...

Thank you anyways,
Marc