Re: GTK+ for Windows: issues with apps locating the dll's

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <ekalin bol com br> wrote:
<...>
Another option is Application Paths - they are
registry keys for you
application that set a path were it can find DLL's.
It's better than
setting the global PATH environment variable. If your
program uses a
installer, you'd set this registry key during
installation.
<...>

Great tip - you got me to look in to the freeware
installer
"Inno Setup", which will handle all the registry stuff
I'd
like to keep out of my core code, and (with the help
of a
simple script I found in this list) checks to see if
GTK+
2.0 is installed and gives me the path to it. Which I
can
then put in a string named "Path" under my app's key
here:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\MyApp.exe

And thanks also to the other two replies. I hadn't
realized
that all the libs an exe was linked-with needed to be
available
at the exe's launch, and also hadn't yet figured out
that
Gaim was running itself as a dll once a it's launcher
established
that GTK+ was available. Creative solution! Now
win_gaim.c makes
a lot more sense for me.

BTW, with all that solved, I am still a bit mystified
by one thing
I mentioned in my last email (and don't want to start
another thread
unless someone else thinks this is important): Why are
Gimp's GTK+
runtime 2.6.9 unuseable under WINE (even a standard
GTK+ "Hello World"
is all black on all Debian/Ubuntu boxes I tried),
while Gaim's GTK+
runtime 2.6.9-rev-a work great? Tonight, as an
experiment, I tried Gimp's
GTK+ 2.8.7 runtime -- which ALMOST works in WINE, but
still has big black
splotches over it. What is the relationship between
the two packages?
Do the Gaim developers just modify current stable
packages offered at Gimp
site, or are they developing their own line
independently?

Both seem to work fine enough in Windows; it only
matters for me because
WINE is a crucial part of my development process,
since all preliminary
debugging happens through it.

Thanks again, people. You've helped a lot.