Re: signals and threads

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 01:50:40PM -0500, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
You can use g_idle_add() to trigger your UI updates from your data
processing threads.

Every signal callback registered to a GSignal will be called
when that signal is emitted, in the thread context in which
the signal was emitted, period.
Well... Now i use g_idle_add() for UI init. It works.
Can i use function like gtk_text_buffer_insert_at_cursor(),
gtk_text_buffer_place_cursor() from another thread? All data passed correctly.
It seems working for me (with gdk_thread_enter/leave). But is it rigth way?
Or i still need to use g_idle_add() for any textbuffer manipulation?

In which way i must to shutdown window (not app, not gtk at all)?
Now i got strange error, like this:
Gtk-ERROR **: file gtktextview.c: line 2669 (gtk_text_view_set_property):
should not be reached
aborting...

Signal handlers are manually disconnected at that moment.
I need to close thread. And i don't understand this error
reason, because there are no any UI updates at that moment and all signals are
disconnected.

My app architecture:

Main:
        g_thread_init();
        gdk_threads_init();

Thread_A:
        gtk_init();
        gtk_main();

Thread_B:
        g_idle_add(); - create window, set and unset signal handlers
        direct texbuffer manipulation

I create thread B on external event, and need to shutdown it on the user
action. Then my app waits for another external event or many.
BTW, Can i use pthread calls? Or i need to use only glib thread support?