Update widget without re-enetring to event loop.

Hi all,
   I have a very basic question. Is there any way to update the
window/widget without re-enetring the event loop. In my application, I
have a table with some rows. On clicking on a button It will process
each of the row. Then I need to update one of the column with the
status of the update(Just a text). I wanted to know, will it change
immediatly, or it needs to finish my processing ane re-enter to event
loop for updating.

I am looking for some thing like gtk_widget_update()

Thanks
Deekshit M