Re: Unicode text Direction Detection

Thanks Matthias for the quick response.

On 8/17/05, Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com> wrote:
On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 17:32 +0530, Gaurav Jain wrote:
Hi,

I have a Unicode text, and I need to detect its direction by some BiDi
algorithm (i.e., whether it is Left-to-right or Right-to-left).  For
example, I need to look for the first "strong" directional character
in the text, and find out its direction.  Is there a way I can do that
using some GTK/GLib APIs?  Something, perhaps, on the line of the
Windows API GetStringTypeW() perhaps?

Any help in this regard would be appreciated!

Not currently available, but we have an open bug which requests to move
the functionality from gtk to glib and make it public API.

Could you give me some tips on how to go about implementing a "naive"
version of such an algorithm?  Suppose I have a unicode character,
what's the simplest way to know if it is a LTR directional character
or a RTL directional character?