Re: A springs and struts widget for GTK+

  I am left wondering why this new layout system?  Maybe it's great, but
why was it introduced?  To solve something that can't be solved without
it, I suppose?..  Would the current container-based layout system be
deprecated in the future in favour of this one, or would both coexist?

This is an experiment to see if a constraints based system will be
better suited for a gui builder. We are not really convinced it will,
but the widget is out there for people to try it out.

Is this system similar to what QT uses?  If I recall correctly, I
remember trying to figure out how to use these spring-like things to do
layout.  It was very confusing and I never did figure out how to
properly use them.  I remember wishing QT had a layout system more like
GTK's, which is easier to use and understand, GUI designers
notwithstanding.

So if this is the same thing for GTK, it may be similarly confusing.  In
theory, though, I understand how this system could be much more flexible
than the old container system, but whether or not it is easier to use
for a GUI builder depends entirely on how it is implemented in the GUI
builder.  Anyway, my experience with QT Designer was very confusing, if
this is indeed the same type of thing.

Michael

Matthias