tree-view update/append to current window

I created a couple of horiz panes, side by side, that contain TreeViews.

The  left_pane  is a scrollable window with a data list of information,

that serves as an uneditable, fixed 'reference page'.

The  right_pane  is similar to the left, but would be updated every few
seconds,

with information; appending another new line of data during the life of
a 'process'.

The right_pane may be refered to as an 'event window'.

Presently, I can 'show' a top_level_window with both horizontal panes,

along with the simulated data on the right_pane 'event_window',

BUT this only happens after " gtk_main() ", is invoked.

I would like simulate the 'real process' by showing the event_window as
blank,

and then append data to that right_pane TreeView.

Question: Along with using a time delay between 'events' (to simulate a
process),

...............what method could be used to update that initial 'blank'
TreeView?

Thanks,

--LarryGtk