Need help to work with sockets...

Hi all...
I have to do an application that can send messages from one PC to
another PC, Some like the Windows Pop up, my question is that... there
are some widget that make the conection one to one, I have been
reading some about the gtk sockets (.h), the Documentation about this
widget isn´t large, my question is "This work like the winsock.h for
VC++?" or the unique to do this application is use hard code to work
with Berkeley sockets?

Or if you know some source code that I can use to do that, please say me....

Thanx
In Advance

Mario Lopez
mariotpc.blogspot.com