pkg-config vs gnome-config

If this message if out of place or already answered, please point me to
the right direction and I'll be more than happy to follow up there.

I'm working on an app that uses gtk+-2.0 and a gdk_canvas.  'gnome-config'
points to the gtk-1.2 installation and pkg-config leaves out the
necessary include directories such that I get errors about gnome.h
not being found.  I'm not finding any .pc files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig
that look like their for a standalone gnome app.  Do I need to write
one?  Thanks.

Here's what I have in my Makefile right now:

$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(DEBUGFLAGS) `pkg-config gdk-2.0 --libs --cflags` -o p p.c

mark