Browseable On-line developer documentation?

Hi -

I'm a newbie who's been playing with GTK for a few weeks now.

The API looks really great.  The HTML documentation (generated from DocBook?)
appears, as far as I can tell, to be quite excellent.

So why the heck can't you search and browse the documentation as easily as, for
example, hitting <F1> in Visual Studio, or an Info page in Emacs?

Is DevHelp the only game in town?  The (multiple different!) versions of
DevHelp I've tried downloading or building on my SuSE (KDE-based) system have
all failed in one way or another.  For example:

  EXAMPLE DEVHELP BUILD ERROR:
  - make =>
make
make  all-recursive
make[3]: Entering directory `/opt/devhelp-0.7/libegg/toolbar'
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -I/opt/gnome2/include/gtkhtml-2.0 ...
grep: /usr/lib/libpopt.la: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libpopt.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libpopt.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[3]: *** [libegg-toolbar.la] Error 1

  ... or ...

  EXAMPLE DEVHELP RUNTIME ERROR:
  - devhelp =>
(devhelp:2783): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1319
(g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

QUESTIONS:
1. Why can't the gtk-docs be generated in a search-ready
   format (like "man" and/or "info")?

2. If they already are, where can I download them, and
   how should I install them?

3. If they aren't ... but could be ... how can I help make
   these alternate formats a  standard part of the gtk-doc
   distribution?

Thanx in advance .. PSM