Re: Omega character

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:20:40 +0200
"David Necas (Yeti)" <yeti physics muni cz> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:34:56PM -0300, John Coppens wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I've never really thought much about about the
consequences of using the locale to generate programs (in my
defense:the locale is 'C' which should be available everywhere).

C locale does not define characters beyond ASCII (it does
not even define ASCII IIRC), so even simple things like é
can work just by coincidence.  And I don't think you are
actually using C locale, because if I try it and use
g_locale_to_utf8() with 8bit characters in C locale, it
fails (correctly).

Yeti,

You're right, of course. It seems I programmed LC_ALL=en_US at some time
to solve another problem.

I suspected this, but when I call locale-to-utf8, I get something like
?<copyright>. Not calling locale-to-utf8 works fine, but I'll have to
escape all special characters, probably even simple things like 'é'.

You can write in UTF-8 directly (I'd recommend that) or you
can mix the approaches, but convert from a particular
charset with g_convert() then, not from locale.  I suppose
you want to convert from ISO-8859-1.

A question: What happens if the destination machine doesn't have the
sophisticated Ohms sign? Or even the Omega?

Depending on the font rendering backend... well, you'll
probably get those nice boxes with hexadeciaml character
codes.

Ok... Very clear. I'm quite addicted to the joe editor, and notice it has
support for UTF-8. Eterm is too old, and doesn't, so I'll have to
reinstall that and a few other dependencies.

Thank you very much, Yeti.

John

Yeti