Key for screenshots?

Hello. I'm puzzling how to implement the following most conveniently.
Help, anyone?

The screenshot application should take the whole screen screenshot
when I press "F1" key. It should work even if my application
would not have focus. In fact, I would be using a web browser
actively when I would take a screenshot. The web browser would
have the pointer and the keyboard focuses. It even could be that
I'm dragging something with the pointer. The screenshot application
GUI would not be even visible; the shots would be saved to numbered
files, they would not be displayed on the screen.

The key used to take screenshots will be one which is not used
in the web browser. The web browser is only an example, and thus
the feature cannot be added to the web browser itself. I could
be using a 3D graphics editor as well.

The screenshot taking code itself should not be the problem because
we already have several screenshot applications. The GTK app could
listen to a pipe for the key events coming from an external keyboard
program. Should I code the keyboard program as GTK app as well?
Can it be done? Can the whole system be coded as a single GTK application?

Juhana