question on gtk_menu_item_set_submenu

I'm using gtk_menu_item_set_submenu to attach a little submenu to a certain item in a popup menu. So far so good, but I'd like the same submenu to appear "beneath" more than one item in the primary popup menu. When I call gtk_menu_item_set_submenu for a second time, with a different attachment-point parameter but the same submenu parameter, I see this at runtime:

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkMenuItem

Is this bad?  Should I be doing this in a different way?
(gtk version is 2.4.9)

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics