Label resize policy

Hi,

I'm having a problem trying to understand why my label
(line_wrap = true) doesn't properly resize itself each time
I call set_markup (new_text) or resize the enclosing Dialog.
It is packed into VBox[2] and should have no problem restricting
itself in terms of its width.

It seems like it has a mind of its own what width it can and should
have. Here's the widget hierarchy:

Dialog
 +-VBox[1]
    +-HBox
       +-Notebook
          +-Page
             +-Vbox[2]    <- expands correctly
                +-label   <- ignores parent's size restriction
       +-VBox
          +- ...

The label in question assumes the width bigger then
Vbox it is packed into and with each set_markup() call
keeps changing its size disregarding Vbox's geometry.

How can I find the initial size of Vbox[2]?
How can I find the size of Vbox[2] when user resizes the Dialog?

If I knew the size of Vbox[2], then I can call
set_size_request(label, width, -1) and everything works fine.

*any* hints are welcome,
-- Vlad
Vladislav Grinchenko       http://home.comcast.net/~3rdshift/
                                 e-mail: 3rdshift comcast net

      Focus on quality, and productivity will follow.