Re: Balloon-help or callout window

I agree about the shaped windws. The actual window is square. The
only non-square bit is he pointer, and that seems to be the
tricky bit.
As long as your line is straight you can use shaped windows with
a minimal performance hit (just two boxes above and below the
line). Since shaped windows are defined by boxes having anything
other than a straight line would be prohibited.  Why not just
extend tool-tips to have multiple lines?

What version of GTK+ are you using that doesn't allow multi-line tooltips?  I never used GTK+ 1.2 tooltips,
but the 2.4 version just uses Pango layouts.  In fact a quick hack to detect a <markup> at the start, and
call the *_with_markup function, and it even supports marked up text.

I do rather like this idea.  A persistant tooltip that appears off to one side, with lines that connect it to
each widget as you move the mouse around, or something...  Would be a wonderful use for the other piece of
tooltip text that can be set on widgets, which doesn't appear to actually be used by anything.  Perhaps a
derivative of tooltips might be handy, though I'm not sure how much of the code would be reusable.  It
doesn't seem to be highly dynamic.

Where a diagonal line isn't possible, you could simply slide the window up and down as required.  In fact, it
may even be easier to use two popup windows.  One for the persistant "bubble text" tooltip, and a 1-pixel
high window for the line, which you stretch and shorten as needed.

Fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com