Re: Balloon-help or callout window

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 00:46 +1000, Darryl Luff wrote:
John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 19:05, Darryl Luff wrote:

Hi all,

I'm after a GTK widget that gives a 'balloon help' type display with a
pointer that links to another widget. Like a comic talk bubble. I've
found some discussions but no code.

What do you mean links to a widget? Embeds it?

A small popup window that looks similar to the standard tool-tip
windows, but multiline - and with a line drawn from the popup window to
specific widget. So when giving specific help I can popup the window
with instructions, and the pointer visually shows which widget I'm
talking about. I've put a mockup at http://www.snakegully.nu/balloon.png.

Or if I need to do it myself, would I have to make a shaped window that
included the space for the pointer, or is there a way to draw on the
screen outside widgets?

You would have to create a top level window though I personally think it
would be hacky to use shaped windows.  I think any bubble widget should
be simple and square for X instances not using composite and use the
composite extension for fancier geometries when available.

I agree about the shaped windws. The actual window is square. The only
non-square bit is he pointer, and that seems to be the tricky bit.

As long as your line is straight you can use shaped windows with a
minimal performance hit (just two boxes above and below the line).
Since shaped windows are defined by boxes having anything other than a
straight line would be prohibited.  Why not just extend tool-tips to
have multiple lines?

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer