Re: Balloon-help or callout window

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 19:05, Darryl Luff wrote:
Hi all,

I'm after a GTK widget that gives a 'balloon help' type display with a
pointer that links to another widget. Like a comic talk bubble. I've
found some discussions but no code.

What do you mean links to a widget? Embeds it?

Does anyone know of a widget available that does this, or an app that
uses one?

None right now.  There is work being done on a spec for generating
notification bubbles based of D-BUS messages being done at
freedesktop.org.  I think the spec is being released soon.

Or if I need to do it myself, would I have to make a shaped window that
included the space for the pointer, or is there a way to draw on the
screen outside widgets?

You would have to create a top level window though I personally think it
would be hacky to use shaped windows.  I think any bubble widget should
be simple and square for X instances not using composite and use the
composite extension for fancier geometries when available.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>