Creating a pixmap for an already existing X display

I haven't done X programming before so this question may be extremely dumb.

I already have a X display open and I want to create a GdkPixmap using that display. Assuming I get a handle to an X window how do I convert a X window to a GdkWindow so I may pass it to gdk_create_pixmap? Also, is there a way to initialize the toolkit to use that display in general?

Josh