Re: To libglade or not to libglade

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:35:48 +0100, Stephen Kennedy <stevek gnome org> wrote:

Any software that has a graphical user interface of substantial size
and doesn't use XML at runtime to build the GUI is either something
of the past [more good points snipped]

Up until about 2 months ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly with
everything you've said. The situation now is not quite so rosy though.

Give me a break, glade developers sleep too you know...

Plus, you can always code those GNOME widgets by hand for the time being
until Glade 2.6 comes out, or do without until Glade supports them. You can
still factor out 90% of your user interface into glade. You can mix the two,
it's not like it's either one or the other, but using any amount of glade in
a large project will save you time.

Glade development has not kept up with gtk+ development. Thus for
instance you cannot use the new action system through glade - you must
keep the menus/toolbars separate from the rest of the ui.

The situation is not likely to change in the short term either - all new
development is happening on glade-3. Gazpacho looks good too, but both
these projects are too immature to be usable.

Yeah, and a year ago or so you would have said glade wasn't good because it
didn't support gtk 2.0 and just gtk+ 1.2. I say screw those new widgets until
glade supports them, or code those by hand for the time being if you must,
since, there's nothing preventing you from doing it, and it's still be a time
saver for you just the same.

Glade will be supporting pluggable widgets soon
or sometime in the future anyways...

You don't want to have to convert your C UI code to glade XML one
year down the rode cause your UI coding in C is just too slow, do you?

I'm not knocking glade btw - even with the above caveats, the advantages
of libglade over any alternative are massive, and it's still the best
choice today.

You bet. I'll say it loud and clear: libglade rules!!!

Best Regards,

Neil