how to use progress bar with file transfer

HI
who can give me a working example how to use the progress bar
to show longer copy transfer amount of bytes to a file or devive
I have no idea how to get this informations calling  cpio or tar.
Or is ther another solution?
C examples are wellcome.

Thanks
Günther