Accessing other apps' windows.

Is there a way using GTK (or GDK) to access all the top-level windows that
belong to the root window (not just those that are created by my application)?

We are trying to build a dialog-based user interface, and one of the
requirements is the ability to resize and/or move any of the top-level windows
on the display.

Unfortunately, every GTK/GDK function that I've found will only return the
windows created by the application that calls that function. Is there any way
to do this at a high level, or will we need to go all the way down to Xlib?

Thanks.