using GtkHScale

Hi,
I'd like to use a GtkHScale widget in the following scenario:

-slider is moved by a user and signal "value_changed" gets emited
-in a signal callback I get the new value, try to set an underlying
device accordingly and get the real value that was set in the device.
-now I want to set a slider to the apropriate position (as reported by
the device), but I don't want to get "value_changed" signal emited,
because I would get into a loop.

The question is how to set a new value for a slider without calling
gtk_range_set_value which (as read in documentation) emits unwanted signal.

Thanks for help,
Tomek Grzejszczyk