Very strange behaviour of g_io_channel_read_ functions

Hi all,

I've got a very strange behaviour while reading from a GIOChannel opened with g_io_channel_new_file: with both functions g_io_channel_read_line and g_io_channel_read_to_end, if the file to be read contains a "°" sign (ASCII B0) I have a G_IO_STATUS_ERROR (error code = G_IO_CHANNEL_ERROR_NXIO). Another strange thing is that I have the same error even if I don't read the B0 character, i.e. performing a g_io_channel_read_line on a file containing only the following two lines:

this is the first line of my input file
this is the second one and contains a °

leads to the same G_IO_STATUS_ERROR.

Is this an intentional behaviour? I'm not so skilled in gtk+ (and ASCII/UTF-8 stuff) so I would like to have some comment from the ML before crying "BUG" :-)

As additional information, I've got this error both with 2.4.3 under WindowsXP and 2.4.10 under Debian 3.1.