Re: pack a window in a window

Maciej Katafiasz wrote:

Dnia 26-09-2004, nie o godzinie 01:26 +0200, Lourens van der Vliet
napisal:
Could anyone tell me how to pack a GtkWindow in a GtkBox. I would like to use this feature to build a program just like a Druid.

Err, you can't do this. GtkWindow is by definition top-level window in
host windowing system, and can't be packed into other container.
Besides, I don't really get your idea, what would that be useful for?

Cheers,
Maciej

I want to have a mainwindow, where the content may vary. The content can be composed with glade. Within glade only normal windows can be constructed. I could of coarse rip the content of the normal window and pack this into the main window, but when the mainwindow needs another content we need to do some booking. This could be avoided when we could pack the entire window into the mainwindow.

A similar approach can be fould in the VCL of borland, where a panel is the parent of a window and hence it's packed into the window where the panel resides. This is a simple method, which could also be usefull for Gtk.

When this approach is used and put into a library, the could be used as a seperate functional unit by a program but also be used as a combined functional unit. Or even a MDI kind of application (like Todd Fisher suggested) if one wishes to.

But I don't want to hack to deeply, because porting issues can be a big problem then.

Lourens