How wide can a widget get ?

Hi!

What's the maximum width I can set a widget to ? I end up attempting to
set the width of one of my drawing area widgets to 66327, and it doesn't
seem to want to go that wide. Is there an inherent limit to the width of
a widget ?

The drawing area is inside a scrolled window, so it doesn't cause my app
to become extremely wide.  It's not a huge drawing area, either, because
it's only about 50 - 100 pixels tall, so I don't envision memory to be a
problem, but I could be wrong.

Should I start implementing my own scrolling, instead of using a
scrolled window ?

I would appreciate any comments you can offer. Thanks !