Is it possible to set marked up text for a button's label?

Is it possible with GTK+-2.4.x to create a checkbutton (or any button for that
matter) that has marked up text in it's label?

I want to create a series of checkbuttons but, for some of them I REALLY want
to use marked up text like "O<sub>2</sub> Voltage"

How does one do this?  The stock gtk_button_new_... commands don't have any
provisions for accepting markup.

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk