Re: Pango support for X fonts (Was: Re: How to use X fonts in my GTK appication?)

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 13:44 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 11:41 -0700, Nix N. Nix wrote:
On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 15:19, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
Pango no longer supports core X fonts, the only backend (on X, anyway)
is xft nowadays. So whatever you do to pangox.alias file, it's not going
to have any effect on pango

This is very unfortunate, especially when you try to install gtk+-2.4
into your home directory, on a machine where you don't have root
access.  Pango should be able to fall back to whatever fonts are
available, because not every X server in the world has the "Render"
extension, and not every X server in the world is XFree86 or X.org,
complete with Xft2.

Xft works fine (if a bit slowly) on servers without the Render
extension.

OK, granted. Despite that, we were unable to compile Xft and so gtk+
configure refused to complete noting that it requires pango to have
these fonts.

Thus, gtk+-2.4 is unavailable to us :o(