Re: Pango support for X fonts (Was: Re: How to use X fonts in my GTK appication?)

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 15:19, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
Pango no longer supports core X fonts, the only backend (on X, anyway)
is xft nowadays. So whatever you do to pangox.alias file, it's not going
to have any effect on pango

This is very unfortunate, especially when you try to install gtk+-2.4
into your home directory, on a machine where you don't have root
access.  Pango should be able to fall back to whatever fonts are
available, because not every X server in the world has the "Render"
extension, and not every X server in the world is XFree86 or X.org,
complete with Xft2.

By restricting pango to xft fonts, you (whoever disabled X fonts in
pango) have basically prevented gtk+-2.4 from being available on a wide
variety of systems with lder X servers, including our Solaris server,
where gtk+-2.2 worked fine, but not 2.4. IOW, gtk+ is now only as good
as your X setup.

I would personally be very grateful to see somebody "put the X back into
pango", as it were, so I can use the latest and greatest gtk+ on our
Solaris machines.